Tainan City Tour
Tour Fee: Route 1: NTD 1,600 (USD 58) Route 2: NTD 1,900(USD 69)
The Fee includes following items:
- entrance ticket fare
- English Tour Guide
The trip may be cancelled if not enough people registered. The minimum is 20 people.
The link to sign up for the tour will be provided around mid-July.
|08:30||Gather in National Cheng Kung University|
|08:40-09:10||Chi Kan Tower|
|10:00-10:30||Old Tainan Magistrate Residence|
|10:40-11:10||National Museum of Taiwan Literature|
|11:20-12:50||Lunch – A-Sha Restaurant|
|12:50-13:00||Return to National Cheng Kung University|
|08:30||Gather in National Cheng Kung University|
|09:00-10:00||Sicao Green Tunnel|
|10:10-11:00||An-Ping Treehouse, Old Merchant House
Anping Old Fort
|11:15-12:45||Lunch – A-Sha Restaurant|
|12:45-12:55||Return to National Cheng Kung University|
Chi Kan Tower
Chi Kan Tower is the landmark of Tainan and its most famous historic site. In 1653 the Dutch built “FortProvintia” in this area, and the Chinese named it “Tower of Savages” or “Tower of Red-haired Barbarians”. Chi Kan Tower is its official name today.
Even though Chi Kan Tower has survived different historical periods it retains its rich and graceful architectural aspects. Crammed with various kinds of steles, stone horses, weight lifting rocks, stone weights, and nine stone tortoises carrying royal stele carved in both Chinese and Manchurian, the courtyard looks like an outdoor museum. Chi Kan Tower is particularly attractive at night.
Confucius has been honored as “Supreme Sage and Teacher” in Chinese history and culture for the past 2500 years. The temple for worshipping Confucius served as both a site for ceremonial rituals and educational endeavors. In Taiwan, the first ConfuciusTemple was built in Tainan in the year 1665. From here, Confucianism was gradually disseminated island wide. Now, more than 300 years old, the beautiful ancient architecture, which used to play a key role in education and national rites, has been transformed into a venue for cultural activities, as well as a famous tourist destination.
Old Tainan Magistrate Residence
The Old Taiwan Magistrate Residence, constructed in 1900, is known to Tainan residents as “The Clock Tower” owing to the clock pattern in relief on the gable of the original roof. As well as being the official residence of the county magistrate, it was also used as an imperial residence when the Japanese royal family came to visit, making it the only building designed for royal residence in southern Taiwan. As of 1941, about 20 members of the Japanese Imperial Family had visited and stayed in the building, even more than the Taipei Guest House, which was the Governor-General’s residence during the Japanese Colonial Period. This shows the importance of the building, especially as the Crown Prince Hirohito (later Emperor Showa) stayed overnight in the building during his visit to Taiwan in 1923. A new wooden wing was specially constructed for his visit, and two tennis courts were added to the right of the building for his enjoyment. Although no trace remains of the tennis courts, the fact that they were built clearly shows the importance attached to the imperial visit and the effort made.
National Taiwan Literature Museum
The National Museum of Taiwan Literature (NMTL), founded on October 17th, 2003, is the first national museum dedicated to the literary arts.
The museum building has a distinguished history tracing back to 1916,when it was built to house the Tainan Prefectural Government. Reflecting contemporary European architectural styling, it is one of several well-known works by architect Moriyama Matsunosuke on the island. Other Matsunosuke projects include the current Office of the President (Sotokufu) and Control Yuan in Taipei. The building was damaged during WWII and suffered decades of neglect before serious restoration work was commenced in 1997.Reopened in 2003, the building is today a focal point of island literature,culture, architecture and history, and a successful example of both restoration and revitalization.
Sicao Green Tunnel
The Sicao wetlands are a protected area of 515 hectares, designated to protect the habitat and wildlife from encroachment by nearby industrial parks and factories. The area has a long history of Taiwan Aboriginal habitation, and then being an economic center settled by Fujian fisherman, Dutch, Chinese, then Japanese, and now the ROC (see further down for a more complete history of the area).
Anping Tree House
The tree house is an abandoned warehouse that once belonged to the British hong, just behind the main house and now engulfed by a massive banyan tree making it very picturesque, but there’s nothing much inside.
Old Tait & Co Merchant House
The merchant house in front dates from 1867, and has become the rather tacky Taiwan Pioneer History Wax Museum. Not far from here, on Lane 183 off Anbei Road, is the Old Julius Mannich Merchant House, the ex-premises of the German trading company: the house hasn’t changed much since the 1800s, and the rooms contain an odd mix of historical exhibits and recreated colonial decor.
Old An-ping Fort
Anping Fort is the site of FortZeelandia, the first Dutch settlement in Taiwan. It was established as a trading post with China in 1624, after the Dutch were kicked out of Penghu, and completed ten years later. The only substantial Dutch remains are parts of the outer wall along the road in front of the fort, as the imposing red-brick fortifications you see today were built by the Japanese. You can clamber up to the top where there’s a small exhibition room with models of the old fort and a copy of Koxinga’s treaty with the Dutch (in Chinese) on the wall. The watchtower, built in 1908, provides good views of the city.